Wednesday, May 19, 2010

green thumb

Mom has mastered planting and gardening. She actually is a "Master Gardener" meaning she's gong through classes and evaluations (I think an exam too?). Anyway, she's a certified "Master" and the title sounds pretty great.

My sister Courtney has been growing plants and all that for a while. She finds plants, pots, and waters. She's got this cute little patio right near Piedmont Park with a few fun and classy outdoor chairs surrounded by her little plantings.

I am now 24, the resident late-bloomer of planting in my family and have now planted my first and very own seeds. And since I LOVE food, of course they aren't beautiful flowers but herbs. I mean practicality is totally my middle name right ? ...(wow- that was an overdose of sarcasm)

So after some inconsistent Minnesota weather, they've managed to make it. This week its been in the mid 70s, sunny and the sweet basil, Italian parsley, and garlic chives are all starting to come up. Here's a shot of the basil a few days ago which, now, looking at this picture is really encouraging because already she's been beefing up! I'll have to upload more pictures of my first plants as they grow. Mom even mocked me a little when I told her I planted seeds. She knows me and she knows plants and she's aware of Minnesota weather. So with all that stacked against me, she was proud, but maybe a little on the "resetting expectations" side of things as I was dreaming of cooking and telling my hubby "Go get some herbs from the garden!" Already they're beating the odds! yeah! Let's just hope when they're big enough they'll taste good! Fresh basil...and parsley... and chives! yum!

1 comment:

  1. so proud of you and your herbs!! just think - you will soon have fresh basil for bruschetta and parsley potatoes :) hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete