Thursday, May 20, 2010

changing it up around the house

I think it's mainly my ability to get bored easily that I have to change things up every once in a while. And once in a while means 1 year for me. Ha. We've lived in our fab apartment for a year and I've been busy adding, changing, and moving things all around. The hubs would love for everything to stay the same, but I think I'd go stir crazy. for sure.

So first, I talked Andrew into helping me move around all the bedroom furniture. We have a rectangular space with a big window on the far, narrower wall. So, we swapped the dresser with the bed and night stands to opposite walls. (When I say "we" here I mean that Andrew helped me to feel like I was making a difference in moving things around). This left us with more open connected wall space (as opposed to smaller pockets of hard to use wall space) along with more walking space and area around the bed. And after visiting this great blog have been more inspired to add a lighter, slight more beachy feel than heavy traditional colors.

I'm in process of painting some picture frames to a lighter cream color, looking for a snazzy and unique mirror for over our bed and some wall art.

I went to HomeGoods to find a mirror to hang over our bed and couldn't decide between these. I decided I wanted a little more style and to move a little more modern than more traditional. And a woman in the store told me the left one didn't have as much style. Thank you rando! At 32 bucks the right mirror was a good deal. When I got it home though, it was just too big to put above the headboard. So, looks like its headed to the living room...

And here's the pillow that I got at TJ Maxx last week for $12 to start off my need to change the bedroom colors and feel. It ties in the warm burnt orange-y walls we have and the chocolate brown with light blue and cream accents on the bed linens.


This morning, I was determined to be productive and scratch some things off my list. I drove down to the Roseville Goodwill and dropped off some business clothes I was holding out on. Obviously though I haven't worn a suit in a few years and figured I needed to let go! Anyway, even though I've been to that Goodwill a few times a week it seems, I had to go in again. Just one more look. You never know. And, I found this great chair to put in the corner of our bedroom! Woo hoo! And at $9.99 a steal!

I took the cushion off because I'm looking for fabric to recover it. Thinking of a robin's egg blue and tan damask upholstery fabric. A mix of modern and traditional for our toned down burnt orange, chocolate brown and light blue bedroom.

As for the rest of the house, I've been scouring Craigs List for at least a couple of months trying to find a narrow piece of furniture to serve as a buffet/table in between our dining room, rando wet bar, and living room. I mean I was getting ready to shell out some bucks, but today I stopped by Unique Thrift Store (with a great name, right?) in St. Paul as a last resort. And WOAH! I found this child's desk complete with terrible paint (smiley faces, stars and suns on white paint over a few layers of blue and pink paint) for take a guess... You know you wouldn't guess correctly so I'll just tell you. $6. Here's another view from the store.


AND it came with matching, heinously painted child's chair. Which will find a great home in some closet.
I'll post more pictures as these little projects are completed

No comments:

Post a Comment