Monday, July 11, 2011

down in the bayou

After spending a few days in Georgia, hubs and I went with my parents down to Louisiana.  That's where Mom grew up and most of our family is.  

On our way we stopped by The Shed for some good hole in the wall BBQ.
Here are my parents and the giant gator.  Yep, they're from Louisiana.

We spent a few days in New Orleans first.
the view from our hotel roof top in NOLA
of course we had to go to Cafe du Monde
because He LOVES beignets.

Then we went on a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi and we stopped at the Battlefield in Chalmet, where the Battle of New Orleans was fought.  If you didn't know my husband is a history nerd.  I mean obsessed.  Anyway, here are some pictures from the vantage of the mighty Mississippi:

French Quarter
Jackson Square from the river
Andrew was eating up the battle ships and history...
The plantation at the Battle of New Orleans


Then it was time for lunch! My family loves eating.  We especially like eating in the real Motherland: Louisiana.  Mom was born and raised there, so to me this is the epitome of home cookin!
YUM.  That's crawfish etoufee, red beans and rice, and grits from Mother's Restaurant. I couldn't eat it fast enough! 

We also went to Baton Rouge to see my grandmother and extended family.  They're all rabid LSU fans.
My two cousins on the left and Andrew on the right overlooking the Mississippi in downtown BR
Hubs helping Grandma make the family recipe for chicken and dumplins.

We also went to see my Aunt outside of BR in her small little town of Hammond.  We had dinner and Andrew was loving seeing this train go by.
Now we're back in GA, but I loved visiting my sweet family and of course getting my fill of real cajun food!

No comments:

Post a Comment