Thursday, July 28, 2011

two weeks of rest...

and DIY projects!

Ok, so after being away from our home for nearly 2 months, I was eager to be back.  To sleep in our bed, do laundry at our place, cook in our kitchen, use our plates, drive my car, and you know do all the crafty little projects I'd seen on my new obsession, Pinterest (more on that later).

Here are some of the things I've been working on.  And I usually post things so Mom can see them and know I have some domestic skills up my sleeve, but they came and visited earlier this week.  So I'll post them anyway.
Made this mason jar pincushion with left over fabric.

I also made a couple of cute koozies for me and Andrew to use during football season!  They were together $1.25 and I had all the ribbon at home.  I was inspired by Emily's!  We of course used red and black and Furman colors and absolutely no orange :)
Ok, so this isn't DIY, but it's full of good deals!

I got this side table from a local thrift store for 10 bucks a while ago and I love it!  So much charm and character, and definitely didn't break the bank.  But recently I picked up this lamp stand for $3 and that little blue book for $1.50.  And that book is "Gone With the Wind" which has some fun meaning to us.  Obviously, we're from the Georgia so it would have some value anyway.  Even more, we had our wedding reception at the Margaret Mitchell House in Midtown Atlanta, which was the home of the GWW author, Margaret Mitchell.  It was special to us because of our Southern roots, knowing we'd be in Minnesota for the near future.  Needless to say when I saw it, I had to get it!  Plus, it's teal and that's a color I've been adding into the room.  
Whew.  New slipcovers. 
Now this chair was hub's Paw Paw's.  It means a lot to Andrew so we made sure to incorporate it into our house.  But the blue plaid had to go and I've been working on recovering this baby for a while now. It's a little daunting, but I'm almost done.  Just have to add the last panels and zippers and she'll be done!
We painted this mirror for some brightness.  

This room was on the drab side before, so I've been working on getting it all in spruced up.  And the guest bedroom is always the last on the list to do which is why I'm just now getting to it!

Here's another picture of the room: 
We got that coverlet in India and wanted to build the room around it. We had all the other furniture and have slowly tried to make it feel less like a modge podge.  


And on another note, you must check out Pinterest if you haven't already.  It's basically visual bookmarking.  When you want to save an image of internet page you can "pin" it and catergorize things to see them all visually instead of sifting through web addresses looking for what you saved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment