Saturday, December 11, 2010

snowed in

With a blizzard hitting us overnight and through most of today, we're hanging out at our place. Serious winds, heavy snow and slightly warmer temps (in the 20s instead of teens) means wetter snow all which add up to me NOT willing to brave the storm and drive. I woke up this morning to the apartment people snow-blowing the sidewalk- the winter equivalent of the landscaping guy coming in the summer. A big plow came and plowed our parking lot, which along with the snow-blower guy were totally futile since a foot of snow fell over the next few hours anyway. Even up here they're calling it a blizzard so I'm going to trust them not to go anywhere!

The snow heaped on our patio. On the far right is a gate that you obviously can't open anymore. Out our bedroom window, the snow it up to our window! It's snowed more than a 15 inches just today- so there's probably nearly 2 feet of snow on the ground!
Another view of our patio. The bow has been blowing like crazy from the snowy wind.
The view from our dining room:

All this means I've been cooped up and have another blog post this week! I thought I'd share some of our Christmas decorations I've put up over the past few weeks:

Our tree! We won't be in town as long this year and it was 10 degrees and snowing when we went looking for a tree- which means I was no longer as interested in finding "the prefect one" for our place, but rather escaping to a heater. Anyway, hubs spotted this one and we love it!
We used ornaments from last year and obviously far less with our mini tree. Matte champagne, chocolate glittery balls and antiqued glass orbs and leaves along with a few rustic snowflakes and some silvery ones too:

Here's the floating shelf behind the tree with some added greenery and pine cones:

Pre-snow I went around our apartment and "borrowed" some tree clippings :) Evergreens are everywhere so there were several types of pine and those red branches are from a northern dogwood bush. I had a couple of glass vases and tied some left over ribbon and set them flanking our fireplace.
A little centerpiece I threw together with a candle and a couple sets of potpourri/vase fillers:
Our Christmas Card display I bought a few years ago:


Moving on from the living room...I kept seeing little banners on different blogs so I de-cluttered our fridge and added this makeshift Christmas reminder:
I also added a few big bows on a metal sunburst hanging in our kitchen, a bow in on our patio, pulled out some green pillows for our couches and packed up some of the fall-colored burnt orange ones, added vintage glass votives with Christmas tree smelling candles. Unfortunately we can't remember what our stockings looked like last year or where we put them! We're also questioning if we ever even bought some last year. Ha. Either way, we'll get some soon.

On another note, here's our first houseplant! Ha, I missed the green thumb gene so I opted for this "drought resistant" blue atoll. So far...so good!

It's definitely growing, but here is a picture of what it originally looked like:


1 comment:

  1. Hi friend! :) Just found your blog through the Vestals! So glad to get more updates now! I'm a blogger now to! ha! ha! :) you'll have to "visit" us sometime! Love and miss you! Melisa Woznicki
    unlessseedsfall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete