Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Not living in vain

It's Wednesday and I am taking it slow this week. It's been a busy semester and I'm taking a mini break. Slept in a little, brought my incredibly encouraging hubby breakfast in bed (note it's cereal not a gourmet breakfast, ha!)...


...got ready, came to Panera (and got the mac and cheese yum!) and am now journaling, listening and reading. What a sweet escape.
I'm listening to:

"It is well"
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

So now our semester is coming to a close. Students have finals next week. We have staff training. I'm tired! This semester has been good, but as I described it to Andrew as a "plowing" season. It's felt laborious, and there have been great things happening, but lots of harder things also. From battling with the administration of the school where we minister, having lots of young believers (which is FUN but also means LOTS of hard conversations praying for convictions), to even feeling alone in the sense of having female peers with "job" stuff. I am blessed to get to do what I do. Such a blessing. I don't think I'd want to be doing anything else right now. I am looking forward to Christmas break though.

I'm reading:

Psalm 127:
"Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain."

Wish I would've read this a few weeks or months ago! In laboring on the college campus for student to grow and know Christ more, it will be hard. THat's why it's called labor! But I must know and live my life, make my schedule, set my expectations in light of the LORD doing all the work. God doesn't say not to build, not to watch, he just says it won't happen without the Lord. I easily forget to trust the Lord. I don't want any area of my life to be "in vain." Wouldn't that defeat what it actually means to be a Christian? Christ is not a compartment of my life, but the center. He touches and influences everything I do: grocery shopping, Christmas gift getting, cooking dinner, decorating our apartment, hanging out with 18 or 19 year old. I want to do it all trusting and remembering 'Unless the Lord' in all that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment