Tuesday, April 9, 2013

God's perspective through parenting

Since becoming pregnant, I've had new perspective on lots of things.  And though growing a big belly, birthing kids, and then taking care of newborns and now near-toddlers has often been difficult, God has shown me many sweet things.  Aside for being more grateful for my husband, family and friends than ever, the Lord has put personal experience behind Biblical principles and convictions.  He's helped me to (in human ways) understand Him more:

  • Sacrificing my body: while pregnant and sacrificing a figure, fitting into cute non-elastic banded clothes, eating whatever I wanted, only being able to sleep on my side, etc., I gave up some of my body to make room for two little ones. Then they were born, and my body wasn't the same! Let's just say I've lost some elasticity.  Anyway, again different figure and nursing to literally offer my body to my babies constantly came.  All these things really pale in comparison to Jesus and His ultimate sacrificing His body for me.  Not just stretch marks, discomfort, and feeling big, but beaten, scarred, tortured and murdered for me.  
  • Not knowing what is best: When G and J refuse to eat or used to fight sleep I had tiny glimpses of what God must feel like with me. Demanding things in my heart, but Him having the whole perspective and knowing that it may not be good for me.  Then as the boys would flail, scream, arch their backs, I would be sad and frustrated thinking, "You need sleep! Trust me, you will feel much better and enjoy everything more with a nap!" And I'd imagine the Lord saying the same things to me when I'd act like that, at least in my heart, when I didn't get what I'd prayed for.  I understand more now that I don't know what I need or what is best.  God though, is for me and trustworthy.  Let me just let go and give up quicker. 
  • Discipline: I hate disciplining Jackson and Grayson.  Duh, who enjoys it?  I hate making them cry and I hate their quivery lip when they look up at me.  I do not want to have to discipline them.  But sometimes, like me, they just don't get it.  Grayson yesterday touched the trashcan (this is our major thing right now!) and I warned him, like I do every morning.  He did it again.  I had to discipline him.  Then with crying, he reached for it again! I disciplined him again.  He reached again with harder cry.  Ugh!  I was so frustrated that he was forcing me to continue discipline. I didn't want to! And, not I get a little more what it means that God disciplines those whom He loves.  And that He doesn't enjoy disciplining me.  I'm just like little Grayson though, a rebel.
  • Delight: Sometimes before I go to bed I scroll through the ridiculous amount of pictures of the boys on my phone.  I can't get enough of them.  I watch videos. Often Andrew goes in their rooms to "check on" them now that they're older and reports the cute ways they've fallen asleep.  There were times we'd concede to let the other rock one back to sleep, just because we missed them over dinner.  When they play and laugh with each other I smile and feel so happy- I just enjoy watching them from the kitchen.  Or picking them up and throwing them in the air exposing their 6-tooth-grins.  I see a little more how God delights in me and His children.  It makes me want to adore God in the same way.  To not get enough of Jesus, to look at the cross continually and be thankful before going to bed because I haven't thought about it over dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment