Wednesday, April 24, 2013

a little scare

This past weekend did not turn out to be what we'd planned.  The first weekend with not commitments or work events in a very long time!  And the snowstorm dashed our dreams of an outdoor walk.  Yes, I've been dreaming of one of those!

Friday night Grayson woke up screaming and hot in the middle of the night.  When I picked him up he basically fell asleep in my arms so I rocked him a little and laid him back down.  When I got back in bed my groggy mind finally had the thought maybe he was too warm and I should take off his sleepsack.  Thankfully he did wake again before long and we stripped his fleece pjs and sleepsack off, put some cool towels on his sweet little head and gave some tylenol after realizing he had a 99.7 degree temp.  But he went back to sleep and it was no big.

All day Saturday he was hot! He threw up after breakfast and was sleeping extra long naps.  As his temp kept rising we called our pediatrician who obviously wasn't in on a Saturday. Around 2, he had a 102 temp and I took him to urgent care.  The doctor immediately said ear infection.  Yep, double.  Awesome.  I got the prescription and didn't ask many questions with the non-stop screaming from Gray.  We tried to give some more Tylenol but the poor little guy again threw up everywhere.  So we wiped it all up quick, took off his shirt and I bolted to the car.

I dropped him off at home while I went to get the meds (Meaning, Andrew was watching Jackson and then we added a screaming double-ear-infected-kid too= superdad). Grayson took his bottle then was so sleepy to Andrew put him down in his crib.  I got home and not long after starting to feed Jackson dinner, Gray screamed and then we heard this weird cry.  Almost like a hiccup cry.  Andrew already ran in there and grabbed little Grayson.  He was convulsing and totally glazed over.  Holy crap.  What is going on? Do we call 911?  Andrew ran down to our car to go to the hospital and about to leave me behind trying to get Jackson, food, bottles, and all the other things needed during "crazy time"(aka dinner time) at our house.  Made it to the car.  Jackson's strapped in.  Andrew hands me Grayson and tells me to get in the car holding him.  His sweet face and body is pulsing about every second.  His little eyebrows moving up and down, his arms clenching in and his legs twitching all in unison.  Was he breathing? Andrew was on the phone with the 911 lady and I had to feel Grayson's breath to tell.  Thankfully he was.

And I just couldn't stop crying.  So confused and scared.  Grayson was still so hot.  His eyes were glossy and he was totally out of it.  After about 5 minutes he slowed down pulsating and eventually began to whimper and then cry.  It was over.  The paramedics, sheriff, etc got there and I couldn't even talk I was so weepy.  Andrew let them take a look at Grayson and told them what they needed while I grabbed Jackson.

Andrew and Gray were sent to the hospital in an ambulance.  It was a febrile seizure.  Apparently totally harmless and no big deal.  Um, excuse me I seriously thought my first baby boy was dying in my arms and I had crazy thoughts I hadn't thought before.  But thankfully he is ok.  At the ER they gave him more Tylenol and monitored him for another few hours and then said we were good to go.  He had a sharp spike in temperature and that caused his body to have a seizure.  IT was caused only by the fever and we don't have to worry about long-term effects.  Good news.  But were were emotionally drained, scared, exhausted and needing to recover.  Our good friends Paul and Samm came to the hospital and family and friends reassured us with their prayers and calls and texts and emails.

As we literally laid on the couch after we got the home and the meds given and boys in bed, we cried and processed and thanked the Lord for our boys like never before.  And we thought, this was so hard for us, but what about God, who put His Son on the cross for us.  Watched him suffer far more than a scary, but harmless seizure.  Gosh, we felt so comforted that our God knew our feelings and was willing to go through far more for us.




1 comment:

  1. Sara, I am so glad that you and your sweet Grayson are okay! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete