Monday, May 9, 2011

aaaand were off

The lull of our lives has come to a halt and we're back to a busier season.  We've been wrapping up things on campus but also starting to plan for the summer with a few other fun things mixed in.

Since returning from Charlotte, I've really been grateful for a flexible schedule where I can read, and do a few more things around the house (including cleaning, which I hadn't really done in a while...). But now we're planning and gearing up for our student summer project down in South Carolina.  We head out in a week and a half.

Last weekend we had a retreat for our student leadership and it was a blast.  I love getting to spend time with those girls!

This week a good friend, Caroline, from my hometown who went to my high school and was in my sorority in college came to visit!  She came with her husband, John, and mother-in-law, but they weren't here to see me.  They're moving up to Minneapolis!! So BEYOND excited!!  Anyway, I got to spend the day with those three and show them around the city. As I drove them around it reminded me of the fun things about Mpls that I love:
  1. Good restaurans: such as Damico & Sons
  2. Fun coffee shops: Cupcake, Wilde Roast, etc.
  3. Cute shops: Grand Ave, 50th & France, Uptown
  4. Beautiful lakes everywhere
  5. Lots of art: museums everywhere, especially the sculpture garden
  6. Farmer's Market- which is officially open.  I got to go Saturday morning and loved it!
It was a blast to show them around, describe Midwestern culture, but also be able to relate not just to the South generally, but our exact town, college, and sorority.  It was a very welcome colliding of worlds. 

Since then we've had a party or event everyday too.  Cinco de Mayo with students, summer project preparation/info session and 2 going away parties for a staff friend, Laura, moving to Thailand.  I've been in charge or helping plan for food for all of them.  Needless to say I'm wiped.  Plus tasks are not my thang. I did enjoy spending time with people there, but a long to-do list wears me out.

Here are some shots from the pinata at the Cinco de Mayo party:

it was a nice day, but still a little chilly


wow do i swing like a girl


Molly, Rachel and me getting a share of the good pinata candy

We're also cramming in time with friends and supporters up in MN before we leave so most of our evenings are planned out. 

Soon enough though we'll be in Georgia getting to spend time with our families.  Can't wait! ...And Mom, wish we could've been there to say "Happy Mother's Day" in person, but know I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment