Saturday, July 24, 2010

homesick and eating Indian style

A salad. A day without sweat. Our very own apartment. Clean parks. Part of me is really starting to miss home tonight. Andrew is out with some students and nearly all of our team is hanging out. I think it's the first time I'm really longing for just an hour at home. To lay on our couch and watch a movie with Andrew. After a meal I'd get to cook with fresh veggies! yum! I really haven't been homesick much, but it's hit me tonight.

I am currently drooling.

We just finished dinner here- about 9:30 am your time! We always have rice and sometimes for lunch they make special Basmati rice, which is a treat love! Tonight for dinner we had paneer, the usual. Its cheese with a funny texture- maybe feta meets jello? kind of crumbly and a little on the slimy side. I can't stomach it, but it always comes in a good sauce. In India many people are vegetarians. Meat (meaning chicken or pork or mutton, no beef) is more of a luxury. We also had dahl which is a kind of soupy lentil mash. It's one of the most mild things to eat. And there's one kind of dahl our guest house makes that has cumin in it and I like to imagine it's some kind of Cuban or Mexican black beans. Chapati is another safe food. Its a grilled tortilla. Authentic Indians eat their food by tearing chapati and using it to pick up the rest of their food. We pretend they are rolls or dinner bread. Actually we had another treat tonight- naan. It's more like flatbread. Thicker than chipati, but also grilled. There's always a vegetable too. Tonight was Alu-gobi. Which literally means potato-califlower. This time they added peas too and it was fiery hot! Early in the week they made okra, which was not only a nice change, but SO good!! I felt like I was in Georgia or something.

We start by loading our plates with rice. Since it was the "good dahl" I loaded my rice with it and then got some alu-gobi on the side. Got some crispy grilled naan and I was set. Tonight was a safe night. Not super hungry and craving a salad. We girls keep dreaming of having fresh fruits and veggies :) We can't eat them here because they are washing with tap water. Indian tap water is well, let's say "not helpful" for your digestive system and will do some damage.

We went for a little shopping at a nearby outdoor bazaar today. I got some earrings, some fun Indian leather flats, and a coin purse I can keep my money in here. Until now a ziploc bag has done the trick, but I was ready for something not quite so see-through. I really enjoyed getting to shop. I'm excited about buying some Indian fabric and making pillows for our place when we get home. I'm also trying to narrow down what to get for our home. I found some Pottery Barn-esque fabric napkins, lanterns, bells and other fun stuff. Seriously, I'm realizing how much Indian elements have become popular in America.
Flats similar to the ones I bought today for only about $10.

Before we went shopping Andrew wanted to boost team morale so we went to KFC. Which you know I haven't stepped foot in probably ever. And the last time I think I went to buy fried chicken was when my sister and I would beg our grandparents to take us to Popeyes when we were maybe 8ish. So KFC in America, thumbs down. KFC in India = my favorite American restaurant we've been too. Weird I know. I saw corn on the cob on the menu and I was coveting it. Because it was steamed, it was ok to eat...at least no problems so far :). So though today was filled with yummy little food surprises and a fun shopping outing, I am starting to miss home.

Almost half way through. A hair under 3 weeks left.

No comments:

Post a Comment