Saturday, August 21, 2010

home sweet home

It's been a week since flying back to the Western hemisphere and so far its been great. We've been running around a ton, but overall we're enjoying being back home.

but honestly, I've been thinking a lot about "home." Home sometimes means Atlanta for me. Sometimes means our little apartment in the St. Paul suburbs. Sometimes means just being around my family or Andrew. Really though, especially after being in India, I've realized "home" means where I'm comfortable and where I'm surrounded by familiar things. Andrew and I have been talking about this idea of home a lot and we keep coming back to Philippians 3:20 "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." I've realized that our true home is Heaven- and yes that will be the most comfortable, enjoyable, place ever! Not because there will be tons of fabulous food to eat all the time, or because it will be the perfect weather, but because that's where God is. Where ever Jesus Christ is, is true joy and real comfort.

This place on earth- my life is but a vapor.

We got to talk with 2 couples who are missionaries in Delhi, India. One couple is from Arkansas (and their twang was so sweet and welcomign to me half way across the world!) and the other is more unique- the husband is Indian and the wife is from California. Neither had met each other, but both said about living in India- "We're not here because we love Indian culture or the dust or the food, we're here because we want people to know Christ and you can't deny the needs here." They also said "I'm not looking for comfort here on this earth, that's why I'm looking forward to heaven." Woah. Ton of bricks.

That's what I've been/am doing. I'm trying to make the earth my place of ultimate comfort. not only am I worshipping the idol of comfort, but I'm chasing an allusion. This earth will never be truly, ultimatly, unfailingly comfortable. Everything will end, will perish, will fade away.

Matthew 6:19-20 says also “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Thankfully my personal and gracious God is reminding me He alone can be my treasure. He is the only one to actually fill my desires of home: comfort, security, familiarity, etc.

1 comment: